Over the memorial day holiday, I had ambitious plans to catch up on work but I was quite distracted by the pool opening at my building. My obsession with swimming is the inspiration for this article featuring some of my favorite pools.
1. LOHA: Lorcan O'Herlihy Architects, Jai House, Calabasas, CA, 2004.
I had to rely on my oddly photographic memory for this one...I recalled seeing this stunning home featured in Men's Health Living Magazine, a men's home magazine that I was sad to see dropped in 2008. Richard Roll, a former corporate attorney turned entrepreneur/entertainment lawyer who transformed his career and his lifestyle to be more focused around his passions. His home is an inspiration, perfectly designed to incorporate his love for his family, the outdoors, and swimming. Limited on space, the one-lane lap pool was the perfect solution for this competitive swimmer. To read the full article click here.
2. Rem Koolhaas, Private Residence in Paris, France, 1991 Loving the rooftop lap pool (yes this is a trend) but these pools are efficiently sized for exercise and relaxation.
3. Humberto Herbeto, Vila Castela in Nova Lima, Brazil, 2005
I am a sucker for an infinity edge pool. Infinity edge pools appear to to go on forever, an allusion created by running off the edge - typically found in areas with cliffs or architectural cantilevers. In this home, the pool works perfectly with the horizon and the location of the pool next to the stair creates wonderful mystery when people descend the stair.
4. Richard Neutra, Kauffman Desert House, Palm Springs, CA, 1946.
I had to include one of my all time favorite homes which also includes a fabulous pool. Check out this recent D4M article for more info on the home, by clicking here.
5. Eddy François and Caroline De Wolf, Private Residence, Belgium
This article needed an indoor pool and this one is a serene beauty in a stunning home in the forest. For more photos and info, click here.